Feb 28, 2013

Jakarta - Probably The Finest Indonesian Cuisines in Brisbane

Again, it's another gem in New Farm!

For those of you who doesn't know me, I was brought up in a multicultural environment which led me exposed to all sort of different culture and customs. One of it, being peculiarly craving for authentic Asian cuisines. My worst nightmare in Brisbane was running into so-called-Chinese/ Japanese/ Malaysian/ Taiwanese/ Singaporean-restaurant but not getting authentic food out of it. That's disappointing most of the time. May be because there have been so many overseas student flocking into Brisbane in recent years and the food industry just happens to think that fusion would be the right perspective to earn all the big bucks! A BIG NO WAY - you are so wrong! I want authentic cuisines with authentic flavors!!! (I apologized for being demanding! LOL)

Apparently, JAKARTA - an authentic Indonesian restaurant has long existed in Brisbane. But sadly, no one told me 'bout it all this while. Lucky me, I have a boyfriend (who constantly crave for Curry, Rendang and all sorts of Asian delicacies) insisted to try this restaurant when we passed by. 

We actually waited for half an hour that day but it's definitely worth waiting. If you really don't want to stand there looking like an idiot waiting, go next door and get some gelato while waiting. Hahaha 'cuz I did that! =p

By the time we saw the menu, we wanted everything on it. Most of the dishes sounded so familar and we can't wait to taste all of them. Plus, we were super-dooper hungry and decided to get the Banquet deal instead! 

Here are some Foodgasm Snapshots...









8 Things You Need To Know About Jakarta

What was included in the Banquet?
Prawn Crackers, Serundeng Kentang, Spring Roll, Pangsit Goreng, Chicken Satay, Lamb Gulai, Beef Rendang, Gado-gado, Balinese Chicken, Grilled Prawn, Rica-rica Fish, steamed rice and 2x Your choice of dessert.

For how much?
$32 per person. Pricey? May be, but I am happy to pay that price for what I have eaten! Oh my~ craving for it already. *gulp* If you do not want to go for the banquets, try their ala-carte menu, the price for the individual dishes is very reasonable. Range from $11.90 - $20.90 per dish.

How was the portion?
Although all of them comes in a fairly small portion but its more than enough for both of us because of the variety. The best part is you get to taste the varieties. 

Did it take a long time for the food to be served?
Not really. I think the waiting time was standard, approx 15 mins excluding the waiting time to get a seat!

My Top 3 favourite dish...
Lamb Gulai, Balinese Chicken & Rica-rica Fish

What did you had for dessert?
Cendol, of course! I hardly get any in Brisbane! Though not the same as Malaysia ones but the brown sugar with the coconut milk and the cendol jelly was just the best combination! *tears* 

The environment...
Something like a modern setting vs Balinese decor. 

3 words to describe Jakarta...
Divine, Authentic, Savoury

The 3 words would sums up my authentic Indonesian dining experience! Anyone who is planning to go there for dinner, please bring me along~ =D 



Overall Rating for Jakarta is 9/ 10.
Food Quality: 9.5/ 10 - I can still remember every taste of it even till now.
Service: 8.5/ 10 - Staffs were very friendly and helpful.
Ambiance: 8/ 10 - Spacious and clean. 
Price: $$ - Worth for money!


Click HERE for more information about the restaurant. Unfortunately, they don't really have a facebook page setup but you can click HERE for its facebook check-in location.

Lots of Love,
yapeelynn